Mr Chien Wong is a Vitreoretinal Surgeon who works in the Ophthalmology department. He is Head of the Retinopathy of Prematurity Retinal Detachment team at GOSH, which is the UK national centre for the complex condition. His area of expertise includes Paediatric Vitreoretinal Surgery and Endoscopic vitrectomy in babies and young children. In 2017, he was named in the annual Power List, a global top 50 list of rising stars in ophthalmology.
He is among a handful of ophthalmologists in the world with a super-specialty practice in complex paediatric vitreoretinal surgery and retinovascular diseases, in addition to his adult VR work. He is a world leading expert in endoscopic vitrectomy across a spectrum of adult and paediatric diseases. In 2014, he introduced novel endoscopic vitrectomy for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) to the UK, making GOSH only one of only two centres in the world with expertise in this treatment. With Dr Wong as the Head of ROP Retinal Detachment Surgery, GOSH is now the national surgical centre for the United Kingdom.
His clinical and research interests include vitreoretinal surgery in adults and children, paediatric retinovascular diseases, genomic medicine and surgical approaches for gene therapy, and vitreoretinal surgical devices development. Dr. Wong is the UK Chief Investigator and Moorfields Eye Hospital Principal Investigator for the RAINBOW trial, an international randomised controlled trial of intravitreal ranibizimab versus standard-of-care retinal laser, as well as being a co-investigator in 3 phase I/II retinal gene therapy trials at Moorfields Eye Hospital. He has over 30 publications, has written numerous book chapters, is the editor of two forthcoming books, has won over 15 prizes over his career and has run over 20 surgical courses as lead or co-instructor both in the UK and internationally. This includes being the current course directors at the American Academy of Ophthalmology annual meeting of “Advances in Intraocular Endoscopic Surgery: Anterior and Posterior Segment Techniques” since 2012 and “Paediatric Vitreoretinal Disorders: Current & Future Management”.
- Paediatric vitreoretinal surgery
- Endoscopic vitrectomy in babies and young children
- Paediatric retinovascular diseases
- Adult vitreoretinal surgery
- Vitreoretinal devices development
- Super-specialist interest in complex paediatric vitreoretinal surgery
- In 2014, he introduced endoscopic vitrectomy in retinopathy of prematurity to the UK, making GOSH one of two centres in the world offering this treatment. He is the Head of the ROP Retinal Detachment service at GOSH, the UK national surgery centre.
- Complex retinal detachment in babies and young children
- Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)
- Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy (FEVR)
- Persistent foetal vasculature syndrome (PFVS)
- Incontinentia pigmenti (IP)
- Coats disease
- Stickler’s disease
- Epiretinal membranes in children
- Optic disc pit maculopathy
- Other paediatric vitreoretinopathies
Mr Wong has been working with the California-based NGO the Armenian Eye Care Project , supported by the Armenian Health Ministry and funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), to develop a tertiary referral paediatric vitreoretinal centre for the children of Armenia and neighbouring former Soviet states. He leads regular on-site VR surgical training of two senior Armenian surgeons. In addition, in partnership with Professor Thomas Lee, Director of the Vision Centre at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, telesurgery has been developed to provide on-demand remote surgical mentoring and support.
- Fellowship, Vitreoretinal surgery, Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Further 3 years paediatric vitreoretinal surgical training in the USA at (i) William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan (Professors Trese, Capone & Drenser) and (ii) Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (Prof. Thomas Lee)
- Darzi Clinical Leadership Fellow, Moorfields Eye Hospital. Inaugural group of cross-specialty fellows in the UK. Spearheaded development of innovative leadership programme at Moorfields with multiple awards.
- MB BS
- Royal College of Surgeons - FRCSEd(Ophth)
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists UK - MRCOphth
- UK General Medical Council (GMC) number 4635118
- USA ECFMG USMLE certification
- British and Eire Association of Vitreoretinal Surgeons (BEAVRS)
- European Retina society (EURETINA)
- American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Association of Pediatric Retinal Surgeons
- Working with the California-based NGO the Armenian Eye Care Project (www.aecp.com), supported by the Armenian Health Ministry and funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Mr. Wong is on several scientific advisory boards of vitreoretinal surgical companies (by invitation)
Mr. Wong is interested in ways to improve the outcomes of paediatric vitreoretinal surgery and collaborates with leading international specialists in the field. His interests include:
- UK Chief Investigator and Moorfields Eye Hospital Principal Investigator for the RAINBOW trial, an international randomised controlled trial comparing anti-VEGF (Lucentis) and laser treatment in ROP.
- Co-investigator and retinal surgeon in three phase I/II gene therapy trial.
- Surgical innovation in paediatric vitreoretinal surgery, including ROP and FEVR
- Endoscopic vitrectomy for complex retinal detachment in infants and young children, including ROP, FEVR, trauma and post-retinoblastoma treated eyes.
- Surgery for ROP. International collaboration to examine the role of bilateral simultaneous vitreoretinal surgery in babies with retinal detachment in ROP
- FEVR surgical outcomes
- Retinovascular diseases
- OCT angiography imaging in Coats’ disease, FEVR and Incontinentia pigmenti.
Mr Wong has received over 20 prizes and awards (national and international) over his career, including from the Special Trustees of Moorfields Eye Hospital (2011, 2012), EURETINA (2011), American Academy of Ophthalmology (2007, 2013, 2017) and American Society of Retina Specialists (2011, 2012).
In 2017, he was named in the annual Power List, a global top 50 list of rising stars in ophthalmology.
News & Publications
Mr Wong has written extensively in paediatric vitreoretinal surgery. These include peer reviewed internationally leading journals, book chapters and lead editor on a forthcoming paediatric retina book. He is also on scientific journal Editorial Boards and is an external peer reviewer for several international journals.
Below are examples of his recent publications (updated November 2017):
Wong SC, Lee TC, Heier J. 2014. 23-gauge endoscopic vitrectomy. Dev Ophthalmol 54 pp. 108-19.
Wong SC, Lee TC, Heier J, Ho A. 2014. Endoscopic vitrectomy. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 25(3) pp. 195-206.
Errera MH, Liyanage S, Moya R, Wong SC, Ezra E. 2015. Primary scleral buckling for pediatric rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Retina. 14.
Wong SC, Capone A. Illumination techniques for complex pediatric anterior retinal detachment and associated retrolental plaque. In Print
Wong, S.C., Lee, T. C., 2013. Endoscopy and Endoscopic-Assisted Vitreous Surgery in Infants and Children. In. M.E. Hartnett, M. Trese, A. Capone Jr, B. J. B Keats, G. Caputo, Ed. 2013. Pediatric Retina. PhiladelphiaL Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Yonekawa Y, Wu W, Kusaka S, Robinson S, Tsujioka D, Kang K, Shapiro M, Padhi T, Jain L, Sears J, Kuriyan A, Berrocal A, Quiram P, Gerber A, Chan RVP, Jonas K, Wong SC, Patel CK, Abbey A, Spencer R, Blair M, Chang E, Papakostas T, Vavivas D, Sisk R, Ferrone P, Henderson R, Olsen K, Thomas B, Meza PA, Drenser K, Trese M, Capone A. Immediate Sequential Bilateral Pediatric Vitreoretinal Surgery. Ophthalmol 2016;123:1802-1808
Todorich B, Thanos A, Yonekawa Y, Thomas BJ, Faia LJ, Chang E, Shulman J,Olsen KR, Blair MP, Shapiro MP, Ferrone P, Vajzovic L, Toth CA, Lee TC, Robinson J, Hubbard B, Kondo H, Besirli CG, Nudleman E, Wong SC, Kusaka S, Walsh M, Chan RVP, Berrocal A, Caputo G, Murray TG, Sears J, Schunemann R, Harper CA 3rd, Kychental A, Dorta P, Cernichiaro-Espinosa LA, Wu WC, Campbell JP, Martinez-Castellanos MA, Quiroz-Mercado H, Hayashi H, Quiram P, Amphornphruet A, Hartnett ME, Tsui I, Ells A, John V, Moshfeghi D, Capone A Jr, Drenser KA, Trese MT. Correspondence. Retina. 2017 May;37(5):e52-e54.
Dailey WA, Drenser KA, Wong SC, Cheng M, Vercellone J, Roumayah KK, Fenney EV, Despande M, Guzman AE, Trese M, Mitton KP. Norrin treatment improves ganglion cell survival in an oxygen-induced retinopathy model of retinal ischemia. Exp Eye Res. 2017 Aug 17. pii: S0014-4835(17)30111-2.
Hinds AM, Fahim A, Moore AT, Wong SC, Michaelides M. Bullous X linked retinoschisis: clinical features and prognosis. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug 28.
Blair MP, Shapiro MJ, Berrocal AM, Chan RVP, Gonzalez JMG, John VJ, Mireshkandari K, Murray T, Quiram P, Wong SC, Wu WC. Re: Good: Bevacizumab for retinopathy of prematurity: treatment when pathology is embedded in a normally developing vascular system (Ophthalmology. 2016;123:1843-1844). Ophthalmology. 2017 Oct;124(10):e74-e75.
Mr Chien Wong Details
Share Mr Chien Wong profile with someone: